Sunday, December 11, 2011

To The Country

For the first time since I've been coming to Viet Nam I finally spent some time in the countryside. My girlfriend asked me to come with her to visit her parents...so. I was apprehensive. I mean, I'd be staying with them in their house.

"Do they have sit down toilets?" I asked.
"Yes."
"Toilet paper?"
"Yes!"

"Hot water?"
"Hot water??"
"No."
"Okay, fine. I'll go."

We took the train north along the coast for 120 kilometers and got off at Tuy Hoà. From there her brother took us by car to their home 38 kilometers inland. Big house. Lots of room. I would be sleeping in Tố Anh's bedroom. She would be sleeping with her parents on the living room floor. The other three bedrooms were empty. (They like sleeping in the living room because there is more air there.)

The next morning I went for my exercise walk alone. I now know what it is like to be a one man parade. I swear, everyone in town stopped to watch me go by. Strangers smiled, waved, and wanted to know where I was from. It was a very interesting experience. Even a cow pulling a plow had to stop and watch me pass by.




The only bad thing about my trip were the mosquitoes at night eating me alive in bed.  Other than that I loved my stay there and the people who were so kind to us.

My fall stay in Nha Trang is winding down and I'll be coming home soon for Christmas. Looking forward to seeing my family and the holidays in Rhode Island. Some snow would be nice. One of my best and oldest friends, Mike Ryan, is here for a few days. Awesome having him visit. He's going to be building a house with the Habitat For Humanity down in the Delta. He taught one of my classes with me at Crazy Kim's. We are going up to Da Lat on Friday together.

I love my life. I get to teach here for a few months and then recharge back home in America, and do it all over again a month later. And then return to spend summer in Rhode Island. Nice.






No comments:

Post a Comment