Tuesday, March 22, 2011

One Month Back in Viet Nam

I've been back in Nha Trang for one month now and things are greatly improved over my time here last fall. The biggest change is my address. I am no longer living on the other side of town where I had to travel through traffic noise three times a day. I'm also much happier back close to the schools, restaurants, and markets that I go to regularly. There are more people that I know and it just feels more comfortable.  And now the beach is just a block away.

I'm happiest most about the teaching. I'm enjoying it more and hopefully doing a better job. I began teaching at Nha Trang University which is awfully exciting. This is a dream I've had since I was 20, to be a college professor. It has taken a while, and who would have thought I'd have to go half way around the world to do it. The students in the above photo gave me a tour around NTU on my first day of teaching. They are my students at Crazy Kim's school as well as being students at NTU.

My first day at NTU they had a film crew there. Half of the class time was taken up doing things for the sake of the filming. Then I was interviewed and asked what I thought of NTU students. Thankfully I knew plenty from teaching them at Kim's. 

Another great thing this time is the discovery of several vegan restaurants. The food here has been incredibly delicious. I leave full and totally satisfied. Hien told her parents that I was a vegetarian and she made one of the best home cooked meals I've ever had, with no animal products at all. I didn't know they could do that. I'm asking for recipes and instructions.
I even had 4 shots of Hien's dad's home brewed wiskey. I shouldn't have because it gave me a headache. Either way, the food here in Nha Trang has been wonderful. This is the easiest it's ever been for me to eat a plant based diet.

I miss my home and family and friends a lot. It's hard to describe the feeling. I am a stranger in a strange land and at the same time the Vietnamese are so kind and easy to be with. Especially my students. It's like I'm not comfortably at home, and I can't stay here forever, but I feel so useful and appreciated. I guess half the year here and half the year in Rhode Island is a good balance.

Lastly, as many of you know my mom passed away while I was in America over the holidays. At first it wasn't too difficult missing her because we had just been with her, but it seems that as time goes by I miss her more. The farther away it gets from her hugs and kisses the more I miss them. Thankfully, I can still feel her presence and hear her voice clearly in my ear. I hear her familiar "Hi Hon," the way she always answered the phone when I called her. When I let the sounds of the day go and quiet my mind I can always hear her "Hi Hon." And then I see her smiling...   love ya mom, miss ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment