Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Paradise Lost

If you live some place long enough you begin to see what it's really like. Unfortunately, or fortunately, the honeymoon is over here in Nha Trang and I am seeing the real city and people. And guess what, it and they are just like every place else...except the beach and the weather. (and that counts for a lot.)

I try my best not to become upset when I go to the beach now. It was never this bad, but the trash is unbearable. I don't know how or why they let people do this. There is so much garbage on the beach it looks like a landfill with sand sprinkled over it to cover it up. I'm not kidding, the only thing missing are the seagulls (you know what I mean if you live in Rhode Island). I thought I was a spiritually advanced person, but I'm not because I want to punch everyone of these people who dump their shit all over the place in the face.

The second big awakening for me is regarding the people. I know I've always said the Vietnamese people are the most friendly and nicest in the world. And maybe they are, buy just barely. In fact the more I think about it the more I realize that people are the same all over. We just behave differently because of our situations. And that usually has more to do with economics than anything else. Change the financial situation of a community or country and you change everything. But under it all...we are exactly alike. Which only makes sense because under it all we are one.

I guess I can't stress it enough, people really are nearly a product of their economic fortunes. As best I can tell, the only way out is to become more aware. Aware of that and aware of everything in general. Otherwise we are nothing but slaves and robots, slowly learning our lessons over lifetimes.

While I have come down to reality, I still love this country and the people. The friends that I've made are interesting and fun to be with. My friend Brad, a self-employed American teacher here, who wants to kill himself and is an avowed athiest, is a hoot. My Vietnamese friend Vung always shares his total love of nature and God. ( His brother works for Thich Nhat Han.) And of course best of all are my students. I'd rather be with them than any one else, except for my family.

Odds and Ends:
Nearly got into my first motorbike accident. Going about 20 mph a car cut me off and another bike and I collided. We managed to stay upright.

Found a really good vegetarian restaurant, best veggie food I've ever tasted.

Several people have been trying to fix me up with friends. Nothing to report on there.

My daughter Angela arrives here on Friday. That'll be really nice.

3 comments:

  1. Well said, Cherie. Nice that your eyes are finally opening, Frank. On to the next lesson...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just want to see you happy and enjoying life (and doing good for others, of course!) Keep focusing on the good in all, and it won't matter where you are!

    "I thought I was a spiritually advanced person, but I'm not because I want to punch everyone of these people who dump their shit all over the place in the face." - like son like father??

    Can't wait to see you home!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was talking with a friend of mine and we were discussing a particular person. My friend's take on it was that this person was very aware but that his level of awareness did not make him a good person. My friend put forth the analogy of a person who has an addiction, is fully aware of the extent of their problem, but does not stop. Ultimately my friend felt that someone could be very aware but their ego could still be in control. Any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete